The Youth, Education, & Libraries Committee of Manhattan Community Board 9 is a coalition of Community Board members and community stakeholders throughout West Harlem who facilitate the development, provision, and strengthening of educational and youth-development services, programs, and activities within our community.
Where appropriate, the Committee issues recommendations to the relevant governing agencies and elected officials on matters in our community related to youth, education, and libraries.
In order to fulfill our mission, the Committee:
- Facilitates information sharing and collaboration between and among children, families, and education and social service providers
- Works with community education councils, school district offices, education officials, and community members in order to improve educational opportunities, from early childhood programs through high school
- Assists schools, youth development programs, and related service providers in obtaining necessary funding and support
- Builds and strengthens relationships with institutions of higher and continuing education, including adult literacy programs, in order to maintain and strengthen post-secondary learning opportunities
- Works to ensure that public libraries are adequately staffed, resourced, and maintained
- Collaborates with City agencies and elected officials, community-based organizations, and community members to provide West Harlem families timely, useful information on important educational and related social issues
- Fosters cross-committee and cross-community board partnerships in order to expand and enhance our service to the community